The Old Custom House

The Old Custom House, No 20 South Quay is a very fine house which was built c. 1720 for John Andrews, once described as “the greatest herring merchant in Europe”. The house was acquired by the Crown in 1802 for use as the Custom House, and in 1985, became the headquarters of the Great Yarmouth Port Authority. It is of red brick with stone trim, with a porch with Greek Doric columns added in c. 1802. It has large-framed panelling on the ground floor, a staircase with barley sugar and iron-twist balusters, and the boardroom on the first floor, has a ribbed plaster ceiling and small-framed panelling.

Get Directions Heritage Map