The Benedictine Priory lies behind the Old Vicarage. Until its Dissolution in 1536, the Priory, a cell of the Benedictine Priory at Norwich Cathedral, served St. Nicholas’s Church. It was rebuilt and enlarged in about 1260, at which time, the Great Hall (or Noble Hall) was added, which still survives. The Hall is 60ft long and 30ft wide and retains many of its original features, including the site of the former screens passage with five archways on the west wall, leading to the former domestic offices It provided accommodation for some of the important visitors to Great Yarmouth, including royalty. After the Dissolution, it fell into disuse, and later, for some time, was used as a stable. After the Suspension Bridge Disaster of 1845, when 79 people drowned, including many children from poor homes, funds were raised to improve the lot of the poor, and the Hall became a school. It is currently a community centre and café.