The Sailors’ Home now the Tourist Information Centre. In the days of sail, the coast off Great Yarmouth was extremely dangerous. Shipwrecks were common and in 1858, a meeting was held with a view to building a Sailors’ Home to provide accommodation, rest and care for shipwrecked sailors of all nations, who were brought ashore, and for those paid-off or waiting to join a ship. In 1859, the Home was opened in temporary buildings behind the Bath Hotel and, in 1861, after extensive fund-raising, the new building was opened on Marine Parade. In addition to board and lodging, the Home proved a library, museum, charts and training for apprentices. It finally closed in 1965, and has since been a Maritime Museum and is now the Tourist Information Centre.
During its 150 year history, it had cared for more than 11,000 shipwrecked sailors from 29 different counties.